Photo Gallery

Saturday, October 14, 2023
Alarm Sounding - Canoe Drive - The Peninsula


Views: 6

Views: 12

Views: 12

Views: 11

Views: 12

Views: 11


Saturday October, 14 2023 @ 11:02

Nature: Alarm Sounding - Carbon Monoxide Incident

Location: 24221 Canoe Dr., The Peninsula, DE 19966


On Saturday morning, October14th, the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company and the Mid Sussex Rescue Squad were alerted for an alarm sounding incident on Canoe Drive in the Peninsula off Bay Farm Road.  It was reported that their Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm was sounding and two persons felt light headed.

Emergency response units from Indian River included Tanker 80 from the Oak Orchard facility, Engine #80-3 from the Long Neck facility and the Delaware State Fire Police.  Additional response units included the Mid Sussex Rescue Squad. 

Emergency response crew assignments included an interior and exterior evaluation, gas detector reading did not determine any levels, EMS personnel evaluated two persons, and other mitigation efforts.

The Indian River Volunteer Fire Company offers the following recommendations for mitigating CO detector alarms:

  • Immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door.

  • Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for.

  • Call for 9-1-1 from a fresh air location

  • Stay there until emergency personnel.


  1. CO is a produced anytime a fuel is burned. Potential sources include gas or oil furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, clothes dryers, barbecue grills, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, gas ovens, generators and car exhaust fumes.

  2. More than two-thirds of Americans use gas, wood, kerosene or another fuel as their home’s major heat source.

  3. Only 27% of homes in America have carbon monoxide alarms, according to recent industry research.

  4. An idling vehicle in an attached garage, even with the garage door opened, can produce concentrated amounts of CO that can enter your home through the garage door or nearby windows.

  5. CO poisoning deaths from portable generators have doubled for the past two years, and many of these deaths occurred in the winter months and during power outages.

  6. A poorly maintained gas stove can give off twice the amount of CO than one in good working order.


  1. Install at least one battery-powered CO alarm or AC-powered unit with battery backup on each level of your home and near sleeping areas.

  2. Have a licensed professional inspect heating systems and other fuel-burning appliances annually.

  3. Install fuel-burning appliances properly and operate according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

  4. Keep chimneys clear of animal nests, leaves and residue to ensure proper venting. Have all fireplaces cleaned and inspected annually.

  5. Do not block or seal shut the exhaust flues or ducts used by water heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.

  6. Do not leave your car running in an attached garage or carport.

  7. Do not use ovens or stoves to heat your home.

  8. Do not use charcoal or gas grills inside or operate outdoors near a window where CO fumes could seep in through a window.

  9. Check all carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Do they need new batteries?

  10. Replace CO alarms every five to seven years in order to benefit from the latest technology upgrades