Photo Gallery

Thursday, December 16, 2021
Proper Disposal of Ashes – Improper Disposal of Materials


Views: 2


Proper Disposal of Burnt Materials – Improper Disposal of Materials May Cause Fire 

Each year, the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company responds to fires that are caused by improper cooking and improper disposal of hot coals or ashes from microwaves, fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves, grills or mobile fireplaces designed for use on decks or patios.

The fact is that coals and ashes from fires can remain hot enough to start a fire for many days after you think the fire is out. The exact amount of time for complete extinguishment and cooling depends on many factors such as how hot the fire was, what was burning, how much unburned fuel remains, etc.

To be safe, simply treat all ashes and coals as hot, even when you think they had time enough to cool.

To properly dispose of ashes or coals we recommend the following:

  • If possible, allow ashes and coals to cool in the area where you had the fire for several days. These devices are designed to contain their heat safely.

  • When it is time to dispose of the ashes, transfer them to a metal container and wet them down.

  • Keep the metal container outside your home and away from any combustibles until the refuse is hauled away.

  • DO NOT place any other combustibles in the metal container.

  • DO NOT use a combustible container.