(1) Monday August, 9 2021 @ 14:18
Nature: Structure Fire - Residential (Single)
Address: 32329 Robin Hoods Loop, Sherwood Forest, DE 19966
Cross Streets: Sheriffs Trap Ct/Sherwood Forest
(2) Monday August, 9 2021 @ 18:12
Nature: Structure Fire – Residential
Address: 33430 Lakeshore Circle Pot Nets Lakeside
Cross Streets: Cottontail Cv/Tern Cv
On Monday afternoon, August 9th, the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company was alerted for two separate residential structure fire incidents which resulted from an electrical issue within the home.
Incident #1 was in Sherwood Forest and associated with the electrical panel box and smoke coming from an outlet.
Emergency response units include Engines #80-1 and #80-3 from the Long Neck facility and Chief #80-15 from the Oak Orchard facility as well as the Delaware State Fire Police. Other responding units were cancelled.
Emergency response crew assignments included evaluation to identify the concern. It was identified to in fact be an electrical concern and the utilities were shut off, ventilation efforts were completed at the residence, and the homeowner was apprised to contact an electrician.
Shortly, thereafter Indian River returned to their respective stations and were re-alerted for the same incident location because the homeowner did not obey requests and turned on the electricity without consulting an electrician.
Consequently, the second response resulted in the electric meter being pulled from the residential structure to ensure compliance with the electrician notification request.
Incident #2 was in Pot Nets Lakeside and associated with an electrical issue shortly after some electrical work was recently completed.
Emergency response units include Engines #80-1 and #80-3 from the Long Neck facility and Tanker 80 from the Oak Orchard facility as well as the Delaware State Fire Police.
Emergency response crew assignments included evaluation to identify the concern. It was confirmed to be in fact an electrical issue and was isolated. The homeowner was advised to contact their electrician for resolution.
Additional information regarding these types of incidents can be reviewed herewith.
Residential Building Electrical Fires
Electricity is a basic part of life in the U.S. It provides the energy for most powered items in a home, from lights to heating systems to televisions. It is hard to imagine a home without electricity. It is a part of our homes and our activities that most of us take for granted. Yet, using electricity can have dangerous consequences. Electrical fires occur frequently throughout the U.S., causing injury, claiming lives, and resulting in large losses of property.
The term “electrical fires” is defined as those fires that include electrical distribution, wiring, transformers, meter boxes, power switching gear, outlets, cords, plugs, surge protectors, electric fences, lighting fixtures, and electrical arcing as the source of heat.
Although electrical malfunction was one of the top four leading causes of residential fires. It has also been a leading cause of residential fire deaths, injuries, and dollar loss for a significant time. Electrical fires involve the flow of electric current or static electricity and are caused by electrical system failures, appliance defects, incorrectly installed wiring, misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, and overloaded circuits and extension cords. These electrical fires can be unique. For example, electrical fires that start in walls can smolder for some time and cause smoke not to be seen immediately and detection to be delayed. By the time smoke is seen and fire is detected, the flames may have already spread behind and within walls. As a result, electrical fires have the potential to spread farther and cause more damage and injuries. In addition, electrical fires can be particularly problematic to extinguish. Since they involve electricity, and water conducts electricity, using water to put out the fire can cause electrocution unless power is reliably disconnected.