Sunday May, 27 2012 @ 21:55:37
Address: 26563 Driftwood Dr Millsboro, DE 19966
On Sunday evening, May 27th, the Indian River (80), Lewes (82), and Millsboro (83) fire companies were alerted for a residential structure fire on Driftwood Drive in the Pot Nets Coveside development off of Long Neck Road.
It was reported that a propane grill had caught fire on the rear deck area of the residential structure and the homeowner occupants had attempted to extinguish much of the incident.
Emergency incident response included: Engines #80-3 & #80-5 from the Long Neck facility; Engine #80-1, Tanker 80, Rescue 80 from the Oak Orchard facility; a full company response from Millsboro as well as a full company response fire Lewes; the Sussex County Paramedics, the local emergency medical service provider, the Long Neck Water Company representative, the Sussex County Building Inspector and the Delaware State Fire Marshall.
Initial reports from on-scene personnel identified a situation where a propane grill had caught fire on the rear deck and impacted the rear of the residential structure as well as the enclosed porch and deck areas.
Engine #80-3 was assigned to coordinate an initial fire suppression attack to the rear of the residential structure while the next due apparatus (Engine #80-5) was assigned to assist with the aforementioned task and supply Engine #80-3 with additional water resources, if needed. Engine #80-1 was assigned assist with an interior evaluation as well as water supply.
Other incoming emergency response personnel were assigned to assist with fire suppression, ventilation, ladder to gain access to attic area, and utilize the thermal imaging camera to locate the potential hot areas.
The Sussex County Paramedics established a rehab facility while evaluating firefighters, if needed.
There were no firefighter or civilian injuries.
It appears that the residential occupants were cooking with the propane grill when the propane gas line caught fire for some unknown reason causing a fire as well as an extensive heat situation on the attached enclosed styple porch area at the rear of the residential structure. The propane grill gas tank exploded crashing through the exterior sliding glass doors and exterior wall causing substantial damage.
The propane tank commenced an interior rampage causing significant damage within an interior bedroom area ceiling and wall, hallway ceiling areas, and an adjacent bathroom area. The propane tank became lodged into the interior wall of the bedroom causing a minor fire in the bedroom area ceiling. The rampage caused significant structure damage separating walls and joists as well as breaking interior water lines within the residential structure.
The Sussex County Building Inspection Department was notified of the situation and requested a representative to respond to evaluate the structure for occupant safety after departure of the fire company.
The Long Neck Water Company was notified of the situation and requested a representative to respond to discontinue water service due to the broken water lines.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.
The residential occupants were able to exit the residential structure for the duration of the incident.
One responding crew from Lewes and one from Millsboro were redirected to provide stand-by cover up assignments at Indian River's Station #1 and Station #2 facilities.
Additional information may be viewed at the following websites:
- WGMD Radio 92.7 – www.Wgmd.com
Miraculously no one was injured Sunday night when a propane tank exploded at a home on Driftwood Drive in the Pot Nets Coveside Development in Long Neck and embedded itself into a bedroom wall.
Firemen from Indian River, Lewes and Millsboro were called to the home just before 10 p.m.; firemen say the residents of the home had been cooking on the propane grill located on the porch, when the gas line caught fire and the tank exploded and crashed through the exterior sliding glass door and became lodged in a bedroom wall.
Significant damage was done to the interior of the house, including the ceiling, the bathroom, the bedroom and the hallway.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal is now investigating.
Story By: Administrative Public Information Officer